Monday, November 30, 2009

Week 15 - Mobile phones

This week I saw an interesting news article relating to mobile phones. A mother misdialed her daughter's number only to find out that the stranger was willing to pay her mortgage payment she was going to miss. Click here to read the whole story. This made Yahoo!'s front page in the weird news classification. Weird sure is right. It is pretty amazing that people are still willing to help each other out in times of need. But I don't really understand how the mother could've misdialed. I would assume she had her daughter on speed dial or at least have her number in her contacts. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't dial numbers out anymore. I use speed dial or navigate in my contact list on my cell. I also wonder how long it took the mother to realize that it was not her daughter on the phone--long enough to get her point out at least. It was nice to hear that the real estate agent was nice enough to pay for her mortgage payment. I'm sure, being a real estate agent, she has seen firsthand the trouble people have making their mortgage payments.

This story kind of reminds me of what we're talking about in class. Mobile phones allow us to access anyone, anywhere. We no longer even have to wait to be at a computer to send an email. As I see in this story, a complete stranger can become a helping hand by the simple use of a mobile phone. I just wonder how this mobility has affected our society.

Everyone in my family except for my stepdad has a mobile phone. He does not have one because he probably doesn't want to figure out how to use it, and he also doesn't like the idea of being able to be reached anytime, anywhere. He works on people's farm equipment and stuff all the time outside of his regular work, so people are always calling the house looking for him or asking favors. I think if he'd have a cell phone, it would ring too much for him!

I also know a few people who like the idea of not having a cell phone but still have one because it's ultimately cheaper than having a landline. These people don't like that they're able to be reached while out at dinner or at the movies. If it weren't for text messaging, I wouldn't either, but I think that texting is so convenient and a great way at communicating to multiple people at once without having to stop what I'm doing. I try not to text too much when I'm with others because that gives the impression that I'm not interested in being with them, especially when we made time to see each other like during dinner. Unfortunately, it's not always that easy. I still am guilty of sending texts while at dinner with my friends or family. Sometimes I don't even realized I'm doing it. I should turn off my phone and enjoy dinner and conversation with the people whom are physically there with me! Being a waitress, I've seen people talk on the phone throughout their entire meals! I think chatting on the phone during a get together with a friend or family is even worse, and I hardly ever do that.

What do you think? Should people text when they're with others? Is that rude? Do you do it? Do you even notice when you are doing it?

2 comments:

  1. It is very nice and assuring to know there are still very kind and giving people out there in this world. I do not understand how she could have misdialed her daughter’s number either. I always use my contacts names or speed dial. Cell phones are very handy for when a person is out and about. I do sometimes, but very rarely turn mine on silent when I do not want to be reached by anybody. I get nervous that if I do that too much; someone will call with an emergency during that time. I do agree that people should have the courtesy to not text while being out with others unless you are all trying to get a hold of someone. I do think it is rude, because it makes you look like you have no interest in what the other person is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete