Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Week 13 - Economy and Pets

One thing I'm passionate about is respect for life, especially for those who cannot speak for themselves. Domesticated dogs and cats have a hard time making it on their own, so they need loving families to take care of them. Most dogs were bred to be of assistance to their humans. Dogs want human contact. Unfortunately, some are left neglected and in shelters.

I am a fan of ASPCA on Facebook. This morning, I saw a sad update from them that said, "Like organizations across the country, the ASPCA is witnessing firsthand the impact of the recession on pet parents who can no longer afford to care for their furry friends." I am also in the middle of writing an article about pet over-population for another class. The people I have interviewed have mentioned the recession causing pet homelessness. I just don't understand. I am a huge animal lover and wouldn't ever think of putting a living being in a shelter because I couldn't afford it anymore. Are these people putting their own children in a foster homes because they can't afford to take care of them anymore?

I am aware that taking care of a pet is expensive from food to chew toys to vet bills. Plus they require a lot of work and time to be able to properly train and socialize them. (That's exactly why I am waiting until after college to get a dog.) This article says that we spend 40 percent more on our pets than we did a decade ago. It also said that 70 percent of dog owners list their pet as like a family member. (Which is good or there would be even more pets in shelters.) I'm one of those who considers a pet a family member. I would give up way more things before a pet if I had felt the effects of the recession and needed to rethink my spending. I'd cancel my Netflix and just watch my movies I already own. I could totally live without cable. I wouldn't eat out as much; I'd cook at home. I'd walk to class and work instead of drive to save money on gas. I would not send my pet to a shelter or even worse to the streets to fend for itself. My personal opinion is that some people have a hard time prioritizing their spending, so they think they can't afford their pets, when in reality, they just need to spend their money better. Does a person really need $20 unlimited text messaging a month? Or can that money go for the food that their dogs literally do need?

The article mentioned that America's love for pets comes from the idea that we're trying to fill a void from either a divorce or working too many hours. That brings me to another point that I kind of already mentioned. Pets are a lot of work and money. Plus, they require some knowledge the be able to take care of them. That's why I think that people should think things through before getting a pet. Otherwise, it might end up into a shelter. This website lists reasons people give up their pets. None of those reasons are justifiable in my opinion. If the dog has behavorial problems, it's probably because it's not properly trained, fed, and exercised and is neglected. If you have too many pets, why did you get another one? Also, another reason listed was relocating or moving to another city. Unfortunately, lots of places don't allow pets, and big cities don't allow pets over a certain size. If that happens, I think it's up to the owner to find a loving home--maybe to a family member or friend who lives on a farm.

This is a link to a site about what pet owners can do if they're moving to an apartment. The home page also lists many other reasons people give up pets and what they can do. On the site it says, "If this means no pets because some pet owners in the past have caused trouble, the pet owner has three options: give up the pet, give up the apartment, change the landlord's mind. I'd give up the apartment before the pet...

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment